Friday 4 July 2014

The Friday Comic (11) - The art of Shintaro Kago





Today I am hijacking the Friday Comic because the work of Shintaro Kago doesn't exactly fall into the comic category. Manga is close enough though. His style is often referred to as fashionable paranoia. Many of his manga have strong satirical overtones, and deal with grotesque subjects such as extreme sex, scatology and body modification, in an artistic movement known as guru manga.
I got this booklet, The Art of Shintaro Kago 3, at Nakano Broadway, one of Tokyo's animé hubs I found the other day, without knowing that it was one. Those are always the best "discoveries".




* the girl on the right lost at "rock, paper, scissors", a very popular game and decision maker for kids and grown ups in just about any situation. I'm half kidding. But only half...





























This is my favourite one where two girls fight over a boy (who seems to highly enjoy the situation - of course, who wouldn't) and end up happily walking away with half each. Hilarious.







3 comments:

  1. I've been looking at these for ages... really love them, Pee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psychoteens getting frisky in sailor/schoolgirl uniforms? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Viz and Humbert, I was quite sure you would like this. He does some weird octopus stuff too. Maybe you can get some inspiration for your tattoo design?

    ReplyDelete