Thursday 17 July 2014

Image Makers at 21-21Design Sight - Photographer Hal, Jean-Paul Goude, David Lynch, Noritaka Takehana






The Image Makers show at 21-21Design Sight (Tokyo Midtown) was one of my favourite exhibitions so far this year. All-Star line up with Photographer Hal, Jean-Paul Goude, David Lynch and Noritake Takehana.






Photographer Hal is certainly one of a kind. I just had to buy his book 'Flesh Love'. Here is what he says about this work:

"When you embrace your lover, sometimes you wish to melt right into them.
To realise this wish, I've been photographing couples in small, or even cramped spaces like motels and bathtubs. As my work became more and more intense, I've noticed that communication is indispensable.
This time, I reached the point of photographing couples in vacuum-sealed packs. In a set I have constructed in my own kitchen […]
After the couple get in the vacuum pack, I suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner until there's none left. This gives me ten seconds to take the shot […]
I've been in there myself, and the fear I felt was overwhelming. As the shooting continues over multiple takes, the pressure of the vacuum seal grows stronger. At the same time, the two bodies start to communicate, and wether through unevenness of limbs or the curve of joints they begin to draw a shape of what they want to express"
















More pictures from Photographer Hal here.







Jean-Paul Goude was also very well represented with several of his major pieces. Who doesn't remember his famous shot of Grace Jones. The series entitled Morphological Improvements is just stunning (those are all about 2X1m large shots. Very impressive).










I quite like David Lynch's movies but I had no idea he was such a multi-faceted artist. There is a whole universe of photography and lithography by David Lynch I was never aware of. 







And the shoes…. The Shoes! OMG. Those are by designer Noritaka Takehana, and I have to say I was in awe in front of them. Heelless shoes. The picture doesn't do justice to the quality of his work, but I can tell you all of those were absolutely fabulous. They had a replica of the black ones one could try on but my feet were too big :-(( damn….

Well this was a wonderful show, it's going to be hard to top that!


4 comments:

  1. Aw you're so sweet. They do look a bit like Dorothy's shoes don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those vacuum sealed lovers! And those looooong red en pointe ballerina shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was quite sure you would like this. They had great art books about it at the shop too but way too expensive. Gorgeous though. Some of them where only about shoes. One day when I'm rich….

    ReplyDelete
  4. A company seal we call it as the corporate seal or common seal is an official seal used by a company. we provide you quality common seal Buy Statutory Register

    ReplyDelete