Wednesday 11 December 2013

Sewage Palimpsests



Walking up and down San Francisco it's hard not to notice that the water drains of the city are embellished with colourful rainbow dots, each of them unique but following the same kind of pattern. The entire city's sewage system seems to be the palette of an invisible artist. Looking deeper into that matter I found the answer to my puzzlement here (I like the way they call them palimpsests, that's exactly what they are):
http://www.pbs.org/idealab/2011/03/how-dotspotting-began-with-colored-dots-on-drains-in-san-francisco066/


Someone took the time to make a patchwork out of them, beautiful!


Image by hellofosta, July 2012, Hidden Signals

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. Excellent miniature painting! I did not see this when visited SF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would like this, Carina. Isn't it interesting? Even the sewage looks great in that city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to monitor mozzies! Loooove this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are great aren't they? I knew you would like them too, Sweat.

    ReplyDelete